Slovak country house

After the Turkish occupation, the village at the foot of the Mátra Hills was re-inhabited in 1716. The first Slovak settlers came from Árva County to Kisnána. The peasant house at the side of the castle was built between 1880 and 1890. It was restored by the Hungarian Historical Preservation Authority in 1971 when the ruins of the castle were surveyed. That year marks the foundation and opening of the Country House. The furniture and equipment present the lifestyle of the old peasantry – there is a kitchen with an open fire and a fire step, an unheated so called "clean room" with a made bed and a bride's outfit and a truncated furnace with seat in the room at the back.  The house has been furnished with objects used by the Slovaks of Kisnána in the 1900s.

The stone mine of Tarnóca

It is a mineral collecting site. Follow the yellow tourist sign from the village then go along the path without a sign. Two years ago a 15-million-year-old, 400-kilo opal was found near this site. The stone is now exhibited in Budapest. The common opal, as its name also shows, is not rare, so earlier it was also collected in Kisnána together with other minerals. The common opal is yellow, greenish brown or greenish yellow with coloured patches or striations sometimes resembling wood grain patterns. It is interesting to note that until the second half of the 1800s Hungary was one of the centres of the world's precious opal production.

Blacksmith workshop

The blacksmith workshop equipped with the original tools and a bellow was handed down to the local government by the widow of the last owner. The workshop at the beginning of Kossuth Street can be visited after advance notice. Information is provided by the mayor's office.

Buy cheap windows or linux hosting for your small business website. Please consider sitecloud hosting review and hostmonster review.
Kisnánai vár © 2011.